Table of Contents Show
Foil stamping is a process used over the decades to make packaging appealing and attractive. This method of application uses metallic foils and prints on different mediums of materials like cards or paper by using heat and pressure. Application of foil films by using metal dies, heat, and pressure is known as foil stamping. Foil stamping was first introduced to the market during the late 19th century. In this article, we are going to explain what foil stamping in printing is, what its applications are, and why it became a popular trend over the years.
What is foil printing?
Foil printing adds class and sophistication to a variety of projects. It is usually applying a minimum good color sheet of metal or plastic fabric cosmetic box plastic to make it look appealing. Foil is a thin film coated with different colors that are applied using heat and pressure to the product. The color pigment is placed on clear, /transparent film which then acts as a color carrier and transfers the color to the paper or other medium.
Why use foil for printing?
Want to use them foil for stamping but wondering what makes them unique in the printing industry then have a look at some of the benefits;
- Foil printing helps the print look more visually appealing which can easily grab your customer’s attention.
- It can easily be applied to dark colors and doesn’t impact the color of the substrate upon which the design will be applied.
- It is a dry process that is moisture and chemical-resistant which increases the durability of your product packaging.
- There is a wide range of metallic color stones and prints available in spoiling which makes it versatile.
- Its photogenic resolution gives superior quality and a luxurious feel.
- Foiling gives new life to existing boring packaging.
- It adds pizzazz to your unique logo that increases your business perceived value.
- A business card with foil stamping gives your business increased visibility which brings more customers to you.
- foil stamping labels look extra-ordinarily amazing
Application of foil stamping
Foil stamping has been used in ancient times to give a unique and attractive finishing look to packaging products that as food medicine beverages. Foil-stamped wedding invitations are known for their unique and luxurious finish that makes the different look extravagant. From simple business cards, and stationary to brochures foil stamping is widely used and appreciated due to its eye-catching effect. In this method, the heat and metal false are utilized to create a dazzling design in the shape of a graphic letter or words with amazing color schemes. The process is started by using a heated metal tool to transfer the ink from the heart and of the machine onto the paper’s other medium. Heat is very important for transferring images. Foil stamping is a method that does not use any ink for printing but utilizes a special foil. Metallic plates and dyes are used in this process to create different types of foiling images. There are usually 5 types of layers in foiling with is doing its unique job. The different types of layers are;
- Release layers
- lacquer layer
- metal layer
- polyester layer
- adhesive layer
During the hot foiling process heat and pressure are the only ones applied to the foil which is then pressed against the paper or other medium you are using spotted by the cylinder. The adhesive outer layer is activated by heat and pressure and then it melts testing the machine hot foil to the medium.
Different types of foiling stamping
Depending upon the type of operation of your substrate and the type of finish you want you can choose any of the hot stamping methods;
- Vertical foil stamping; A method that stamps foil designs on cylindrical and flat-shaped surfaces.
- Flat foil stamping; A slightly raised foil design from surface chives by using magnesium/copper metal stamps that transfer the foil design to the substrate.
- Peripheral foil stamping; In this method foil heat transfers are applied to the entire circumference and outer perimeter of the product.
- Sculpted foil stamping; This method uses brass dies to get raised images on the surface for a carved and defined look.
Types of foils used for foil stamping
To achieve different finishes and designs different types of foils for hot stamping are used; let’s explore them together;
- Metallic foils; these foils offer attractive and classic patina across colors like copper, blue, silver, and gold. These are one of the most common types of foils for printing.
- Pearlescent foils; Foils are used to add a Pearly shine to the design. These are available both in transparent and translucent finishes. Commonly used at the wedding and other invitations
- Pigmented foils; these versatile foils are used to produce a glossy or matte finish.
- Scratch foils: These foils are designed to be easily scratched by coins or even nails. These are very famously used in phone recharge cards, lottery tickets, and others.
- Holographic foils; These foils are usually three-dimensional and are used to produce a wide variety of patterns on medium. They are used on sensitive products to prevent counterfeiting.
Foil stamping and environment;
You might be wondering if foil stamping is environmentally friendly or not. Well, the good news is yes it is. Foil stamping is an eco-friendly process that does not leave any long-term negative impacts on the environment. This process is a totally dry and solvent-free process. According to a study carried out by PIRA foil just like ink can be successfully removed by the flotation deinking process with zero particles remaining on the paper once it is re-pulped. Paper and board that have been foiled stamped can be easily recycled and it has been shown by two different studies that foiling does not slow down or decrease the biodegradability of the paper.
How much does foil stamping cost?
If you are looking for foil stamping for your packaging to make it look more attractive then search for Foil stamping near me to decrease your cost by avoiding extra delivery charges. Different companies charge different rates for a stamp but usually, the die cost $75 it is just a one-time fee and it will be used on all your orders. The process of Applying fall to your boxes depends upon the size, quantity, and type of all you need but usually, it ranges from $0.07 to $0.15.
Foil stamping adds glamour and it is an important custom packaging technique that increases the feel of your product. You can use different types of false stamping to make your brand look luxurious and attractive to consumers.